Google Drive is one of the most used online cloud storages. Nearly every person nowadays has a Gmail account, and Google provides free storage of 15 GB to each Gmail account holder. Users with android smartphones have all their photos and videos backed up in Google Drive automatically. This might fill up 15 GB of space very quickly. In such case, you have to download multiple files from Google Drive to local storage to create room for new ones.
Google Drive allow bulk downloading of multiple files as Zip file which can later be extracted using WinRAR or 7Zip. You can keep this zip file as backup to any other cloud storage or in your local drive and later free up space from Google Drive.
Steps to Download Multiple Files from Google Drive as Zip file
- Login to your Google Drive account with your email and password.
- If you want to download a single file, right-click on that file and in the context menu that appears, choose Download.
- Google Drive will now scan your files for viruses and download them afterwards.
- If you want to download multiple files at once, then press the Shift key to select a continuous series of files, or Press Ctrl if you want to randomly select files.
- Once satisfied with the selection, click on the three dots in the top right corner quick access toolbar. From the context menu that appears, select Download.
- Google Drive will create a compressed Zip file out of all your files, you can see the status in the floating panel in the bottom right corner.
- Once Google Drive completes creating a zip file, it will automatically download the zip to your PC
The above steps will work in web version of Google Drive app. To learn how to download multiple files as zip in Android, read the following section.
How to Download Multiple Files as Zip in Android?
The process of downloading multiple files as Zip in Android is pretty similar to web version with a slight difference in layout. The following step will explain downloading multiple files in Google Drive android app. If you haven’t installed it yet, please download and install it and follow the steps below:
Steps to Download Multiple Files as Zip file in Google Drive Android App:
- Open Google Drive App in your smartphone.
- If you have multiple Google Accounts logged in, switch to the one from which you want to download multiple files.
- Once you are in the desired account storage, hold down on the first file you want to download to activate selection mode.
- Now select all the files or folder you want to download as Zip file.
- After selecting all the files, tap on three dots in the top right corner to open the context menu.
- Tap on download to start the zipping process. Once Zip is ready, it will be automatically downloaded to your phone.
As you can see, the process is almost the same as the web version of Google Drive. If you don’t want to install Google Drive app in your smartphone, you can also use the web version of the app in any browser to download multiple files as zip.
We’ve some exclusive articles for you.
Type in your email to access all the premium articles for FREE.
How to Download Multiple Files in Google Drive in PC
Google Drive also provides a PC software for easy access to your Google Drive. You can download it by searching on Google easily. After installation, you need to sign in with your Google account once in the app. The Google Drive pc version creates a drive in your file explorer just like any other hard disk drive partition. You can manage all your files from there remotely.
Steps to download multiple files in Google Drive in PC:
- Download, Install and Sign-in in Google Drive Desktop app.
- Google Drive create a virtual drive in your file explorer after you sign in.
- Go to file explorer in Windows by pressing Win+E.
- Open the Google Drive virtual partition to sync all the files and folders from Google Drive.
- Now, just select all the files or folders you want to download by dragging or by clicking while holding shift or Ctrl key,
- Right click on any selected file and select copy from the context menu.
- Now, paste it anywhere in your local storage. Google Drive desktop app will automatically download a copy of all your files and store it in your destination.
Google Drive virtual partition acts just like any other partition of Windows, you can manage files the same way. The only difference is that any changes you make here will be reflected to your Google Drive files automatically.
Benefits of Downloading Mutliple Files from Google Drive as Zip
Although there are many benefits of working with multiple files in Google Drive yet here we mentioned some of the best benefits you get after downloading multiple files from Google Drive as zip.
- Helps in creating backup of all your file and folders.
- You can free up your Google Drive space for other important recent files.
- Zip files can be protected with passwords, making your back up secure in your pc.
- Downloaded zip will take less space than original files because of compression.
- You can share zip files easily with anyone in pendrive.
That’s all we have for now in downloading multiple files from Google Drive as Zip. We hope you have understood all the methods and steps completely. You can ask anything you like to ask about Google Drive in the comments below. Google Drive is one of the fastest and reliable cloud storage. If you are a user of Google Drive, you must learn all the function of it for leveraging its potential.
Other Interesting Articles You have missed:
If you found this blog helpful, please leave a comment.