Twitter has been one of the prominent social media for celebrities, politicians, businesses and 396 million active users. But recently due to some controversial changes, Elon Musk deal, and increase in fake accounts have brought down the reputation of Twitter. These changes have led many celebs to deactivate their Twitter account and switch to some new social media.
If you are also planning to delete your Twitter account for some reason, then this tutorial will help you get there easily in a few simple steps. But before we will move to action and deactivate our Twitter account, lets some points you should remember:
Things to remember before deactivating your Twitter account:
- Deleting your Twitter account will delete all your tweets, photos, and videos.
- You will lose all your followers after permanent deletion of your account.
- There is no way to recover an account after a period of 30 days of deactivation.
- It is recommended that you should download your data from Twitter prior to deletion.
- If you are deleting a Twitter account for switching to a new one, then you should release the username from the old one to make it available for your new account.
Hope you have understood the circumstances of deleting your Twitter account and are completely satisfied that you still want to delete your Twitter account. If the answer is yes, then you can follow the steps below to delete your Twitter account in PC:
Steps to Deactivate Twitter Account in PC:
- Start by logging in to your Twitter account.
- Once you are in, scroll down the left sidebar and tap on More > Settings & Support > Settings and Privacy
- Now you are in the Twitter account settings dashboard, In the left sidebar choose Your Account.
- In the right pane, you will see some account control settings. Tap on Deactivate your Account.
- Hitting on that you will see some warnings and instruction by Twitter, at the end you will see a Deactivate button.
- In the next step, you need to enter your Twitter account password to confirm deactivation of your Twitter account.
- Once you enter the correct password, your account will be deactivated for 30 days.
- This is a time period given by Twitter to recover your account in case you change your mind. After 30 days, Twitter will delete all your account data, and you will no longer be able to gain access to a Twitter account.
As a precaution, you can download your information from Twitter as a zip file before you delete your account. Downloading information may take some time, even days, so it is recommended that you should do it a week before deleting your account.
Now we have seen how to delete Twitter account in PC, let’s see how to do it in Android
We’ve some exclusive articles for you.
Type in your email to access all the premium articles for FREE.
How to Deactivate Twitter Account in Android
Deactivating Twitter account in Android has the same procedure as PC with a little tweak in interface. Most of the android users use Twitter app for using it. That’s why the following steps will show you how to deactivate Twitter account in Twitter android app.
Steps to Delete Twitter Account in Android:
- Open Twitter app and login with your credential
- Once you are in, tap on your profile pic in the top left corner.
- This will open a side panel, scroll down and tap Settings & Support > Settings and Privacy
- Once you are in the Settings menu, it is pretty similar to PC, Choose Your Account.
- In the next page, hit Deactivate Account.
- You will see a warning page listing all effects of deactivating your account. Scroll to the bottom and tap on Deactivate.
- Twitter will ask you for your account password for confirmation.
- Entering the right password will temporarily disable your Twitter account for 30 days.
- After a 30 days period, Twitter will delete your account permanently, and you will not be able to recover it.
How to recover your Deactivated Twitter Account?
Whenever you deactivate a Twitter account, it will disable it temporarily for 30 days. During this period, Twitter gave a chance to recover your deactivated Twitter account. Twitter keeps safe all your data including tweets, photos, videos, comments, likes, activity logs till the threshold period of 30 days.
If you change your mind and want to reactivate your Twitter account within these 30 days period. All you need to do is to log in to your Twitter account with your old credential. It will ask for confirmation to reactivate your Twitter account and let you in with all your data back to its place.
Remember that after the end of 30 days, there is no way you can recover your account because it gets permanently deleted from Twitter server.
Deactivating a Twitter account is a critical process. You must be careful while doing it. Twitter also holds the right to disable, suspend or permanently delete your account if you violate any of the guidelines from Twitter. Twitter is changing rapidly and no one knows what comes next, that’s why it’s recommended to all to take backup of your data even if you are not planning to delete your Twitter account. This way you will be safe even if something wrong happens to Twitter in the future.
Before leaving, if you find this post helpful, then please leave your comments down below.